Wednesday, November 28, 2012

With a Thankful Heart

Thanksgiving as a holiday, is one of the highest on my personal list. It has everything a holiday should have; including gluttony and is removed from the falsity of some of our generic holidays which have been invented  to appease certain groups such as 'Kwanza.'

Thanksgiving in my world generally falls three days after the first deer enters my freezer. It follows a morning after having watched Charlie Brown the evening before. The Thanksgiving meal takes place just before watching Detroit be defeated on the gridiron.
And who could ever forget about the Black Friday sales?

Without question, Thanksgiving is the most observed; yet, least appreciated of all holidays. The reason is because Thanksgiving has absolutely nothing to do with ourselves; it is all about someone else.
Over the last several years I have watched a cartoon moose on one of the children's channels sing about being thankful throughout November. The problem with his song is that he never identifies to whom he is thankful - and that is a disgrace.
But what is more disgraceful is that there are millions upon millions of Americans who look at Thanksgiving as purely sentimental; a holiday which holds little meaning except for the 'feel good' of the moment. The reason people tend to believe this is simply - we're just not that thankful or appreciative or simple expressions of grace anymore.

The Bible says, 'Enter His gates with Thanksgiving in your hearts; enter His courts with praise...'
So, although my Thanksgiving holiday wasn't anything like it had ever been in the past; a thought I would write a few reflections of things  I am thankful for every day of my life - even more so as life becomes more precious by the hour.

1) Medical Knowledge.
- As I write, there are seven incisions healing on my right side; one is nearly 13 inches long. These incisions will become scars which will become reminders of the day when doctors were able to remove all that was suppose to be removed and were able to leave all that I was to keep inside my body.
And for each one of those scars in every step of this process, I am thankful to God above for giving the right people the right knowledge that has enabled me to remain alive.
- Because of those scars and what has happened - my spleen is intact, my blood sugar has returned to normal, my blood pressure is no longer astronomically high and I'm healing at an alarmingly good rate.
- Though I have minor pain and discomfort right now, what in the world is there not to be thankful about? What is there that would prevent me from praise God Himself for what He is doing?
The answer is 'nothing' for He is all worthy of all praise.

2) A Faithful Wife.
- As much as I hate to admit it about our society, it is true; we live in an era in which people are married to be divorced and divorced to be married. It seems the last sacred boundary of marriage and the family is being decimated everywhere we turn.
And while in the past there were social mores and family influences to help prevent tragedy within the home, today it will basically fall on the individual and their personal integrity.
This is why I am thankful and praise God for my faithful wife.
- Not too long ago a man I know was injured severely; his 'wife' walked away from the marriage not wanting to handle the stress and turmoil of the situation. As I have found out once again - mine will never walk away because she meant and believed every vow she took before God 17 years ago.
- Again, God is worthy of all praise for giving me this woman.

3) A Fruitful Church
- Being a pastor, you often wonder if what you teach on Sunday actually sinks in the heads of those in the congregation. You often wonder what the church body will do when faced with a situation or circumstance.
- I have been given a great gift in being able to see this in the church I serve; and I have been impressed over and over by what they have allowed God to do through them and how they have allowed the Holy Spirit to use them.
- West Ripley's support to my family in this time has been truly amazing; not only on a church level to pastor, but on the level of individuals out of love to another brother in Christ. I could give example after example and name people by their name - but I will not.
But I will says this -
What I have been preaching for so long, they are living out in their lives by the power of God through them.
-- Friend, as a pastor, it doesn't get any better than this; or more thankful in my heart to God for them.

4) For What is Happening.
- Make no mistake about it, it is not easy to sit here and say that I am thankful for having this horrible disease. Actually, I'm not; but I am thankful for what has come out of it as far as support - some of which I would have never expected.
- When a person dies, at the funeral home the family hears what an impact the decease had on their lives. The bad thing is that the deceased never learns of this during life. I have been able to experience from other people the impact I have had in their lives.
If Cancer would have never happened, I would have never been given this gift; it has been a blessing in the midst of the storm.
- And for this experience, I am thankful and as I go forward, whether I have 5 years or 55 years remaining, the desire of my heart is to honor God through trying to live up to what others think of me.

Thanksgiving is more than a sentiment of the emotions; it is a way of life, a belief in the heart that there is one greater and more worthy of praise than ourselves. Most of society doesn't believe this, that is why Christmas trees appear in stores in September before Halloween Candy, Thanksgiving is skipped over and Holiday sales continue through the New Year.
Being thankful is not something you do; it is something you are - and you can only be thankful to God for who He is and what He has done if Christ reigns in your heart. Only then will you begin to realize and experience grace everyday, in all the small things of life.

Until next time, win one for the good guys; and be thankful for it.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you are healing well. Tina is such a wonderful woman. You are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear good news. You are one of the good guys, keep up the fight and we will keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey jack! I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that myself and other members of the Wing are thinking of you. We wish you well in your recovery. Give me a call when you get a chance and catch up. Ramsey

    ReplyDelete