Thursday, November 8, 2012

Timing

Anybody who has ever told a half-way decent joke knows that timing is everything. It doesn't matter if its slap-stick humor, physical humor or a simple one-liner; timing is a must if you are going to get the desired reaction.

Timing is also crucial in relationships - timing can mean the difference between lightening and a harmless lightening bug.
Timing with apologies means the difference between hearts restored and divisions increased if one is insincere.
Timing with children can mean the difference between a child developing a complex and a child succeeding later in life.
Timing within the church can mean the difference in moving forward with God's mission or division within the local body causing all to circle the same mountain over and over again.

Nowhere is timing more important than the individual Christian waiting on the right time, the right place, the right circumstances within the will of God for our lives.

This week in my struggle with Cancer, I was to have a surgery where a biopsy was taken of a lymph gland and possibly half of my left lung removed. It may not sound like it, but having half of a lung removed from my body is the best possible scenario for my circumstance.
Yet, this was not to be - not at this time.

With tests being performed and completed, difficulties set in and was postponed. In the mean time, God is working visibly.
Attitudes are changing about my condition from medical experts.
Ideas are being circulated that were once forsaken or overlooked.
Procedures, once thought unlikely and needless, are quickly becoming not only possible, but likely.
And all the while, I feel better - stronger and healthier than I have for weeks.

All of that to say, with God - all things are possible; yet, as wee seek God's will, we must be patient and wait on His right time, right circumstances and His Sovereign will.
And that can be one of the greatest challenges in our lives when we face terrible circumstances.

You see, anytime we are in a dark situation, we want God to swoop in and solve all of our problems; we want Him to act on our behalf as we pray for His mercy.
What we often fail to realize is that our time table as to how we want things done isn't always how He chooses to accomplish the task.
We also fail to realize what we want isn't always what God desires or how He desires the outcome to happen.
Let me give you an example.

When I first learned of how sick I was and many times since then - many have told me that they KNOW God wouldn't allow this to happen. They KNOW I have more to do on earth. They KNOW I will be healed.
What I'd like to know is how they KNOW these things.

Here's what I KNOW - I know God has given my great blessings in my life.
I know He responds to the believer's prayer, whether it is about healing or something else.
I know that anything that touches me has passed through Him to me by His Sovereign will.

Here's what I believe:
I believe God is moving right now and that He is doing something I cannot fully understand at this time. I beleive it will end in my healing.
I believe I have more to do for His Kingdom.
I also believe how God chooses to do what He is going to do in my life, it is already happening.

But for these things to happen, we must be very cautious. The caution is that we do not get ahead of ourselves and try to for our will upon God; but to wait on His will to work and be patient so that we can become a part of His will on this earth.
One of the greatest dangers in our lives as Christians is try to 'force' God's will.

Many years ago, the great man of faith named Abraham was told by God that his children would be more numerous than the grains of sand on the sea shore. His wife Sarah was promised the same.
They waited...and waited...but they didn't wait long enough.
Instead, they tried to force God's will as they grew older. Sarah offered her handmaid to Abraham as a concubine; they would have a child together named Ishmael.
Later, Abraham and Sarah had a son named Isaac.
From that day to this day, the offspring of Abraham, Ishamael and Isaac with their descendents, have laid down in sorrow at night and risen to violence in the day light.

And this was all because one man attempted to force God's will in his life. Our great danger is that we do not do the same thing.
Remember this - whenever we attempt to force God's will in our lives to our benefit, it will always end in disaster. Our responsibility is patience as we maintain the faithful trust in our Sovereign Lord.

What has happened to me this week - some would say was a few missteps or miscalculations. I say it is God's hand keeping me safe so that His will is accomplished for His greater glory later on.
And the very same thing is true in your life, but we must all be patient and look for those small things that seem like conincidence and see them for what they really are - God silently and throughly moving in our lives as we faithfully trust Him.

Until next time, stay faithful and patient; try to win one for the good guys.

4 comments:

  1. Pastor Jack,

    I was directed to your blog through a mutual friend. Like you, I served in the WVANG and I believe that we have met and if we had a conversation I doubt it was memorable. Please know that with positive thoughts and prayers, I am rooting for you to be fully healed and I know that our next conversation will be one that I remember forever.

    I am inspired by your words and strength. With your permission I would like to share your story with the few people who follow my blog.

    I know you will keep the faith, fight the good fight, be filled with hope and share the Love of Christ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to share this anywhere at any time. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
      'Mountaineer Pride, Worldwide.'
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Greetings-- I am a PW from Colorado. We will be praying for you. If you and your wife would like a get-away in mountain setting and cozy cabin, please email me at jincomt@gmail.com and I can give you more information about this ministry. We could try to make that happen for you, financially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnaks for the prayers - and we just might take you up on that.
      I've been in your state several times, it is a beautiful work of creation.
      Keep the faith.

      Delete