Sunday, November 18, 2012

An Ex-SPLEENation

One of my favorite books of the Bible is Ephesians; it contains so much in only a few chapters. Its teachings rival some of the more famous books and the author, the Apostle Paul, uses an economy of words to get his points across to the reader.
And his points, teachings and principles are timeless truths especially for our ever-changing age. They never go out of style and they will always guide us to the greater things of God.

As I have said before, I know God is doing something - it's just that I'm not sure exactly what He is doing with my life or within my body.
I know what I want - more years of life; it's public what I've asked for - survival with the request of at least 12 years in addition to what I have.
I know what I expect - a miracle.
And after years of 'knowing' what He orchestrates in other people's lives, I really don't know what He is doing in my life with my  health.

I found something tonight in Ephesians concerning what He is doing. It says that we are,
'...Predestined according to the purpose of the One who works out everything in agreement with the decision of His will, so that we who had already put our hope in Christ might bring praise to His glory.'
   - Ephesians 1:11

Well, I may not know all that He is going to do, but I do know what He has done; and for what He has done - He should be praised and I have a praise to share.

A few days ago, after yet another CT Scan, I was told that there was something in my spleen - probably cancer involving two tumors. The implication was that the cancer had spread even further.
The solution the doctors offered was to simply cut me open to remove the adrenal gland and while the surgeon was in there, remove the spleen as well.

It's not like I had many options on this. I wasn't given any. This was how it was going to be; but that didn't matter because when you have cancer in your body you want the people who know most about it to do what they do best.
Truthfully, when you have cancer in your body - you just want it out and you want the effects it has on you to stop immediately. This isn't always possible, and that's a hard pill to swallow.

Anyway, after being told the plan - the surgeon called the next night; last night to be exact. After collaboration with other doctors and after examining the new scan they had finally come to a conclusion as to what to do during the surgery and how to accomplish what they wanted.

They determined that there was no cancer in my spleen. Yipppeee!!

But here's the thing - something WAS in the spleen.
Something DID appear on the earlier scans.
That something isn't cancer because cancer is no longer there.

Some may say they got it wrong the first few times; I say that isn't likely.
No, they got it right the first time and they got it right the second time; it was, but now it is not.
Some might disagree and doubt, but I do not - God has moved in a way that defies logic and reason. He has suspended the natural laws of the universe on my behalf.

Friend, you need to understand that is what an answered prayer is; God suspending the laws of the universe He created on the behalf of His petitioning children. It isn't always as dramatic as what has happened to me, but it does happen every day.

This is a small victory for His glory through my body; my prayer is now that there will be more just like this one.
Answers to prayers which defy logic and reason; answers that heal me and bring Him glory.

A few days ago I stated that I didn't need a hero, I needed a miracle; I believe I just got my first one. Now, I am expecting many more. God doesn't begin a work and then stop it half-way to let it slide. No, He finishes all that He begins because the final product of His work brings glory to His name.

Here's a truth for you and something I often need to be reminded of - we don't live by explanations, we are to live by faith. In this time, although I still don't fully know or understand what is happening on the spiritual level as it crosses over to the physical level, I have been reassured of the great hope we all have has believers in Christ and His work through us in the world.

I don't know how many people read these words. I don't know why He has chosen to allow these things to happen. But I do know that if you are going through some type of struggle in your life as I am in mine, it is hard not to seek an explanation.
But friend, we don't need explanations, we need stronger faith because 'without faith it is impossible to please God.' And isn't that what we want to do - please God? Sure it is.

I've learned another truth - life isn't a puzzle to be solved, but a mystery to be lived and revealed each day.
As this mystery is unveiled and revealed in my life, I pray it will be in yours as well so that we who believe on this day will be able to bring praise and glory to our Lord in the days to come.

And as my spleen was healed and restored, your life can be healed and restored as well - but only if you trust in Christ first for salvation and then for the power He alone has to guide and restore your life as it should be.
He is willing if you are able to allow Him to do it.

Until next time, win one for the good guys.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful news! I have prayed and thought of you often! I will continue to pray for you! Your words were wonderful and meant a lot to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete