Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Child-like Faith


Over the last 18 to 24 months, the journey I have traveled has had its up's and down's. 
To recap - in October 2012 it began by being diagnosed with Stage 4 adrenal cancer.
The expectation was that I would live for about six months.
In January 2013, after a second major surgery where the upper lobe of my left lung was removed, I was declared cancer free.

Pretty sweet testimony, isn't it.

But now, with numerous tumors growing within and without by inflamed and enlarged spleen, I must return to the Cleveland Clinic and have it removed.
Once removed, the testing will begin to determine if there are cancer cells present; then, the necessary steps will be taken medically to conquer this once again.
Yet, I must say - doctors can only do so much; but in Christ, all things are indeed possible.

During this journey, make no mistake about it - I have known the fullness of God's presence; I have also known the loneliness of His unmistakable absence.
You may not think that is possible for a strong believer, but even Christ was left to Himself on the Cross as He died.
We should expect no less than what Christ experienced.

Along with His presence and absence at various times; I have also experienced God's fullness and an emptiness that is difficult to explain except by describing it as a cold fear.
I have enjoyed times of great spiritual intimacy with the Lord; but I have also suffered from spiritual estrangement as well.

In the early church, as they experienced some of the same emotions and situations with the Lord as they endured, some turned to extreme asceticism - denying themselves of things that brought pleasure, taking on what I call 'suffering mode.'
Others went the other extreme and adopted an extreme legalism, believing if they 'obeyed' more diligently then God would bless them.
Sadly, all legalistic values and practices ever do is lead to great disobedience. 

When the Apostle Paul confronted such attitudes, many of which we see today from well-meaning but misguided Christians, he would respond with phrases like, 'Don't you know...'
Pastor Jack - 1975
It is as if he simply could not comprehend why some Christians could never mature beyond spiritual infancy.
Truthfully, neither can I.

No healthy, right-thinking person would want their child to remain in infancy forever; infancy is a necessary time of growth, not a permanent state.
Spiritually, the same is also true.
As we grow in Christ, whether we receive suffering or jubilation, we must learn appropriate child-like behavior as opposed to childish behavior.
One is a prerequisite for the Kingdom of God; the second is a mark of stunted growth.

A Christian who expects God to solve all their problems - whether it is cancer, tumors, the flu, boyfriend issues, or even difficulty on an exam - that Christian is pursuing childish magic; not a mature faith in Jesus Christ.

Today, we have people who want to raise the average Christian's expectations; they do so through the false 'Health & Wealth Gospel.'
First, there is only one Gospel and that's the blood Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Secondly, the things which are promised by the pseudo-teachers of Christianity are the very things which Jesus Himself resisted when He was tempted in the wilderness.

Am I to expect that God will solve any issues I have with my weight simply by believing He will reverse the power of a demonic calorie?
Should I be equally as certain of the seasonal change as I am of God providing all the answers I need in every counseling session with broken couples - or do I need to study the situation and the people?
Can I expect, without preparation, God simply to provide a message through my mind and mouth on Sunday morning by just praying for it and showing up?
Am I to expect God to bless me with great wealth when I grow old because I have been faithful?

Friends, it simply doesn't work this way; nor can I expect to be suddenly healed every time I am sick.
God did indeed heal me once and I am so thankful for that touch; yet, He may not choose me to be healed again. If not, I have received more grace than I ever deserved.
As for now, I have indeed been selected, for whatever reason, to walk this path yet again. 
Honestly, I can't wait to see what God does with this one.

You see, I have found that tragedy often precedes great blessings. 
We have to remember in the time of suffering that before we can experience the resurrection, we must endure the necessary prerequisite of death. 

To those who have a child-like faith, some will pass us by, shaking their heads and saying, "Well, they don't know any better..."
At times, I am glad I don't know any better.
It was child like faith by which the centurion approached Jesus, asking Him to heal his servant.
Child-like faith got Peter out of the boat.

But those who 'did know better' tried to convince a former blind man that he couldn't see, it conspired to kill Lazarus again and it paid hush money to Roman guards after the Resurrection.
That's why I'm glad I don't know any better.

One day the disciples asked among themselves - 'Who is the greatest...'
Jesus showed them a child; a child who probably had no idea of the question's depth but who had the trust and faith all need to enter the Kingdom in the first place.

The one thing children do know how to do is trust.
Maybe this is yet one more thing every Christian needs to learn as the walk the road of trial in their lives.
The more you trust God, the greater He will deliver in a way that glorifies Him.

Until next time, try to win one for the good guys.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, well done and God inspired brother. Love ya

    ReplyDelete