Thursday, March 28, 2013

Temporary

Early in ministry I was a chaplain at the University of Louisville Hospital; it was a trauma hospital, right in the middle of Louisville, KY. 
For some reason, at least one person died every week that I worked and I only worked two-three days a week. 
Some weeks, a person died every shift.
So, I think it''s safe to say that early on in ministry I became very comfortable in dealing with death and dying.

This became very important later in life; just a few months ago I was dying and I was very comfortable with it. But I soon realized a fact that is almost universally true - people are not as comfortable with death as I am. 
Most people cope with death by avoiding it and all things dealing with death altogether.

Think about it in modern terms. 
It use to be people died at home; today, they usually die secluded away in a private hospital room.
In the past, family would gather around and watch their loved one suffer until they gave up the ghost; today, we have removed pain from the equation with modern drugs which 'make them comfortable.'
And when we die, we are no longer buried in a gray-looking, depressing grave yard full of headstones; today, IF we are buried, it is in a place as beautiful as a city park. If we are cremated, our ashes are placed in a gorgeous urn or scattered and forgotten.
We do all we can do displace the thought of death from our minds.

And it is this thought which brings me to EASTER, which I refer to as the greatest day in the history of mankind.
You see, Easter brought a new word into the vocabulary when we speak of pain, of suffering and even of death. 
That new word is: Temporary.

Whatever anguish we may feel, whatever pain we may go through, regardless to the amount of suffering you or I might experience as we die - it will not last.
Our final hope and joy is in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ; because He has risen, the believer will also rise. 
One of the greatest thoughts of all history is knowing that a Christian's death is temporary.

When I woke up from my second surgery, I was soon overjoyed at the fact that I had been healed by the hand of God. I was so happy for all those who had prayed for me worldwide - people would actually get to see a real, bonafide miracle in their midst.
I was thrilled at the extended time I was going to have with my children; I had asked to be healed mostly for their sake. I didn't want to die and their little hearts turn against God.
And this might sound horrible, but I was also a little happy knowing that me not dying spited a few people. :)

But for me, once I knew I was going to live - I was a little disappointed. 
Now, that might sound odd to a person who isn't dying or hasn't suffered, but it does make sense to those who have.

When I was dying, as I prayed there was a peacefulness that I cannot describe. 
The reason was because I realized I was soon going to meet God in person; the Holy Spirit filled my heart with a peaceful joy over the matter. 
It was time to meet the Lord I have served with my life.
And that was really nifty-cool.
My Easter gift was to see God in person and Christ in flesh. 

But that didn't happen!

I'm OK with it now, but over the last few months, I have struggled with it.
Not because I wanted to die; but that I wanted to live with Christ.
And why wouldn't any Christian want to be alive with Christ?

John 14:6 

6 Jesus said* to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.



The simple truth is that we'd be crazy as Christians to go through life as we do if this life is all that there is. If what we know ends in our own death - we're dumber than a box of rocks.
But we know that this is not all there is; there is more in this life than the average person knows and there is a wonderful world awaiting us in the afterlife.

Apart from Easter, apart of the resurrection to life, apart from the next life, apart from the spiritual rebirth we experience, apart from a new start and a recreated earth - God would be less than powerful, less than loving and He may even be considered cruel.
But what kind of God would be satisfied with a world filled with suffering and laden with death? Not the Lord I serve; that is why He has provided us with the hope and joy of the resurrection, beginning with His Son and extended to all who believe on Him by faith..
The entire Bible stakes God's integrity on His ability to restore creation to its original state of perfection. And part of that restoration is raising to life all those who have believed on Him.

On the morning of the first Easter Sunday, it was announced 'CHRISTOS ANESTI' - which means, 'Christ is Risen.' 
Have you ever taken these words Christ is Risen,  into consideration for your life?
What does it mean to you personally and to the world if Christ has truly risen?
What would it mean to you if your loved ones would rise again as Christ rose?
What would it mean to you, right now, wherever you may be, to get up and look outside and see in the street, or front yard, or in your driveway or in a parking lot at work - what would it mean to you if there stood your loved ones that you have lost to death?
What would seeing them live again mean to you?

That image is exactly what the disciples encountered on Resurrection Day.
Not only is that the image the encountered, it is also true that they caught a glimpse of the future for themselves. They too would share in a resurrected body with the Lord and it is this fact that encouraged them in the remaining years of their lives as they ministered and died the martyr's death (except John).
They died the way that they lived - in the hope and joy of the gospel and the future resurrection.

The truth is that all people, die the way that they have lived. 
A recently read a story about a black minister who was dying; to him, he viewed it as merely heading home.When he did die, his church grieved, but it seemed only an interruption in their friendship; a set back but only for a while.
In the minister and his church was instilled the grand hope of the resurrection to life; it is a hope beyond this world.

All people die the way that they have lived, but if we really believe in the resurrection, truly believe that we will be raised to life - then heaven should effect more than how we die. 
The Resurrection should have and affect as to how we live.

What we need to learn is that our time on Earth is a proving ground; what makes it difficult for believers is that we are trying to live life under a rebel flag. 
We try to live for God, we try to be faithful; but the rebellion of the world and the sinfulness of man make it difficult.
Yet, if we succeed in our service and devotion, we will hear the words every believer longs to hear ring in their ears, 'Well done, good and faithful servant.'

One thing I can promise you - in eternity, you and I will not be impressed by the importance of life on earth; but rather, we will be shocked at the smallness of it.
1 Cor 15:51-58

51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable , and we will be changed. 53 For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. 55 "O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?" 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; 57 but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

Life on this earth is Temporary; just as death is for the believer in Christ.
And that's all the more reason to go win one for the good guys.
Happy Easter 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment