Friday, April 11, 2014

Audience of One II

New River Gorge Bridge


When I started this journey, I believed the most destabilizing words a person could hear was 'you have cancer.' But these words' close second is the time frame given as to how long you are to live.
Yet, I have found another set of words that can be just as unsettling - 'we don't know.'
When spoken in reference to tumors and lymphatic organs, the uncertainty can be just as shattering as certainty of other things.

Many times when people go through sicknesses, disease, suffering or death, they naturally want God to show up and prove to them why things are happening the way they are. 
But it has been my experience that these earth-shattering encounters with God are not the norm.
And sometimes, when a person does have an experience with God - they do not see it for what it is and ignore the direction that He is giving to their lives.

Bridge Day
In the area where I'm from sets the New River Gorge Bridge, once known as the longest arch bridge in the world. It spans above the small mouth bass haven of the New River, which is one of the few rivers in the world that flows South to North.
Each year, thousands upon thousands of people flock to that Bridge on Bridge Day, the third Saturday in October. 
I remember when the bridge was built, I remember the old road which we had to take to get across the river; and I was present at the very first Bridge Day.
Therefore, that near mile long bridge has lost its impressiveness for me while others hold it in wonder.

Spiritually, I have been amazed at the fact that when people are converted and have a dramatic experience, how quickly things settle back to 'normal.'
At times, the faith found so joyfully may even disappear due to neglect or even disappointment.
Some do fall into the trap of neglecting their spiritual life, while others find that the 'pie-in-the-sky' promises by the "name it & claim it" gang aren't true.
Either way - faith may soon be lost on account of both of these.

The problem is in fact that new Christians and older, more mature Christians alike are not aware of God's constant presence nor do we often seek it.
Charles Spurgeon claimed that in his waking moments, he never experienced a quarter hour to pass without a distinct consciousness of the Lord.
George Mueller often stated his goal was to 'have my soul happy in the Lord.'

No doubt, it is for this reason that these men are considered saints of the faith.
Many wish they could have the same experience and the same heart-felt desires but this is certainly not the norm.
Great power encounters with God - times when we see someone definitely healed, times when an actual explanation is given for a screwed up situation, or a powerful, spiritual presence where we know, not just feel but know, God has answered and is present - these things are rare.
In fact, while real, a person may only experience one or two in a life span.

Knowing this, in the back of my mind I know that I have already seen God do much in and about my life.
He has even healed me once - He may again, but I know these power encounters are as rare as they are real and practically speaking, the odds are dropping.
But I digress.

You see, when it come to spirituality, spiritual maturity does not progress like physical maturity; we know we are adults by our driver's license and the number of hairs that turn gray or fall out.
Spiritually, it doesn't work that way, it isn't achieved in steps; I do not rank above my deacons because I have been empowered to walk on water while they can only heal the sick.

Not only does it not work that way, it actually works the opposite way.
The Prophet Isaiah has this to say to us:
Isaiah 40:31
31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

The faithful begin by soaring like eagles but they reverse themselves by God's power in a way we do not expect; they fly, then run and finally, they walk.
Amazing - it is the total opposite of what our culture teaches us and expects of us.
Which begs the question, 'Who wants to be slowed to a walk?'
The answer is that it is only those who ultimately triumph in a test of faith.

In the Christian faith, God must be and remain the central reality.
Unfortunately, most people need visual and spiritual aids to assist them in remembering God is Lord of their life and of the universe.
God, and not the task at hand, must be in our view at all times. 
Truthfully, with some effort, even cleaning a toilet can be an act of worship.For whatever you do, do as unto the Lord.

This can be done if you and I assume, as is true, that God is all around us at all times; though undetectable.
By my human senses, I cannot see nor hear God, but I know that He is here with me; whether with cancer or without cancer - and I know whatever happens will be for the glory of the Lord through me.
Therefore, as for now, I must strive to conduct my daily life in a way appropriate for God's presence, because each of us must be aware that He is our Audience of One.

Until next time, win one for the good guys.


2 comments:

  1. I love what you've said and I appreciate you sharing your experiences with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bridge and the analogy. Great thoughts and I pray all is well with your soul and body.

    ReplyDelete