Wednesday, December 12, 2012

War Stories

Recently, the country remembered the events of 07 December 1941 - better known to this generation as Pearl Harbor Day. For those who lived during the sneak attack from Japanese Zeros, it was a horrific day that struck at the very core of the American soul.
In response, thousands upon thousands of men volunteered for service in the military. In the years that followed, millions on the home front made personal sacrifices to aid in the war effort. In the end, Imperial Japan had awakened a sleeping giant in Uncle Sam.

As I watched highlights from one of the many memorial services, I saw something that is a rare find today - a living survivor from the attack on Pearl Harbor. There weren't many veterans from WWII that were survivors from the attack, but to find one over 70 years later - now, that's amazing.

It occurred to me as I thought of some of the veterans I know from the Air Guard, American Legion and VFW, that all veterans share at least one thing in common - each of us have war stories. Some of the stories are from behind the lines, while others are horrid tales from the thick of the action; either way, these stories are real and a part of a life spent defending something greater than yourself.
You can tell when a veteran has truly experienced something - the descriptions in the story from long ago includes graphic details with sights and smells.
Another thing you can tell is who the impostors are - the type who want to 'beef up' their experience. As sad as it may sound, there are those who never served but act as if they have.

This is true of cancer patients and survivors as well; we all have our own war stories of surgeries, hotels, hospital visits, and everything that goes along with the entire experience of having this disease. On a side note - I'm thankful that I have one to share this experience with; with her, it has been a wonderful life.

Anyway, cancer patients/survivors - we have our war stories.
As odd and unbelievable as this may sound, there are some who will fake an illness or a disease for the attention it gains them. Like those who pretend to serve, I truly don't understand this mindset that would want the type of attention that I am getting from cancer.

Cancer and survivors share their stories and strengthen one another . Occasionally, you find a person with whom you really identify; for me it was a man named Everette Anderson.

Everette was an old member of the church in the sense of having membership since he was a child in the '60's; age wise, he really wasn't old at all. When he was a younger man, he entered the Army and eventually came back home to our area.
A few years ago, he stopped by the church with his wife; a few Sundays later and most Sundays since, they were there. Then Everette disappeared for a while; when he returned he bore the scars of surgery from skin cancer.

When I was diagnosed, Everette had been struggling in the fight for many months. He was the first person who was able to describe to me what I was feeling, what I was thinking - even my attitude about the whole situation. He was able to verbalize everything I thought without me ever speaking a word.
As a result, Everette was a great strength and comfort to me as I began my own fight with cancer. His fight had taken him to Columbus; mine took me to Cleveland and when I returned I was certain to reconnect and compare notes with Everette.

The day I returned to the area was the Friday after Thanksgiving and I learned that my friend had passed away earlier in the week.
He'd lost his battle, his wife had lost a good man and I lost what I believed was the only person in the world who understood what I was dealing with - but I was wrong.

Everette was a great help, but with all humans our help is limited in some way. There is another help, another person who is without limits and full of compassion and understanding - the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Bible teaches us that Jesus experienced all that we experience in testing, trials and temptation; He 'gets it' when it comes to my struggles and fears with cancer.
That's why He calls all to come to Him with our needs and fears - He understands and is willing to help us in our worst times. He's willing to help when none others are. He is willing to help when others can't help anymore.
His name is Jesus and if you will trust Him, you will find that in His story, He has already won the war. The skirmishes in life that remain are where He will support you and carry you through. He is and always will be an ever present help in your time of need.

As much as I enjoyed Everette and hated to see him pass, I am thankful that He is with the Lord. One day we will reunite and talk about these very things; but I hope he'll forgive me if I try not to make it too soon.

Until that time, I'll keep trying to win one for the good guys; you try and do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Well said sir. Thank you for sharing Everette with the world.

    ReplyDelete